ALBURY PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1029565
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1967
Statutory Address:
ALBURY PARK, NEW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALBURY PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029565.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 19:21:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
ALBURY PARK, NEW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Guildford (District Authority)
Parish:
Albury
National Grid Reference:
TQ 06390 47700

Details

TQ 04 NE ALBURY C.P. NEW ROAD Albury Park

5/17 Albury Park 14.6.67

GV II*

House. C16 origins on older cellars, rebuilt by John and George Evelyn in C17, altered circa 1700 and extended by Sir John Soane in 1800, further altered by Hakewill in the early C19 and remodelled by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin in 1846 - 1852, possibly with the assistance of his son Edward Welby Pugin. Galleted ironstone with brick dressings and plain tiled roofs. In Tudor Gothic style.

Entrance front: Three storeys with attic storey in taller tower to right end. Battlemented parapets obscuring the roofs. Multiple rubbed and cut brick stacks in varying patterns to ends and centre, some of the 63 chimneys on the house - its main feature - each of different design. Nine bays with string courses over ground and first floors. Buttressed two-bay break to left and right end, brick dressed casement fenestration with 7 windows across first floor and 9 windows above. One large stone dressed casement window to left of centre. Six larger windows to ground floor, stone dressed and with arched stone lights to recessed entrance bays. Arched door to right of centre, further door to right.

Left hand return front: (North side facing gardens) Two storeys and attics with 4 gabled dormers alternating with chimneys. Two storey, spindly porch to left with octagonal angle piers and brick finials. Chamfered arched brick surround under label moulding with shields over.

Rear: (East elevation) Square tower to left with angle bay to ground and first floors. Single storey service wings to right hand side.

Interior: Remnants of earlier remodelling survive. Library - modelled by Evelyn with C17 brick and stone fireplace, dentilled eaves with egg and dart pattern. Hall - Soane staircase survives, one arm winding around a narrow oblong well. Drawing Room - Flaxman fireplace recently reinstated. Marble with caryatids and scroll and flower work. The house is set out in grounds laid out by John Evelyn.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971), p.93. COUNTRY LIFE: AUGUST 25 and SEPTEMBER 1 1950, pp.598 and 674.

Listing NGR: TQ0638447696

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
288274
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 93
'Country Life' in 1 September, (1950)
'Country Life' in 25 August, (1950), 598
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 40 Surrey,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12244/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Norman Wigg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].