CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1029603

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE, MANOR FIELDS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029603 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 17:15:49.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE, MANOR FIELDS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Guildford (District Authority)

Parish: Seale and Sands

National Grid Reference: SU 89696 47894

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 84NE SEALE AND SANDS C.P. MANOR FIELDS

7/102 Church of St.Laurence 14.6.67. GV II

Church. Rebuilt in 1861 - 1873 by J Croft, incorporating some older fragments including C15 South porch. Coursed clunch and green sandstone with ashlar dressings to Nave and Chancel, Bargate stone to tower, plain tiled roofs. Cruciform plan with central crossing tower under tiled pyramidal spire, gabled porch to south. Central tower with triangular dormers, rendered eave corbels, angle piers and stair turret to south east corner under cap roof. Clock face on all sides of tower. Steep gables to transepts with diagonal buttresses to base. Mixed fenestration, mostly two light windows in Perpendicular style, all with plate tracery, some under label mouldings, three lancet windows to north. Timber framed porch to south on stone dado walls with open arched lights above; crown - post roof and cusped bargeboards to gable. Planked south door with strapwork hinges. Interior : three bay nave and north aisle with square crossing, square pier arcade with chamfered angles; hood moulding to arches with foliage stops. Cusped roof trusses to nave, C19 crown-post roof over north aisle. Dog-tooth moulding to chancel arch and crossing arches. C19 stained glass. Fittings : Wooden eagle lecturn. Panelled pulpit with turned baluster railing. Square stone font with chamfered corners,on square stand with detached angle pillars. Monuments: Mainly wall tablets. North Aisle wall : Dedicated to Anne Woodroffe. Died 1762. By J Nutcher of Swaything. Black marble panel with apron below, in carved white stone ground. Flanking Corinthian pilasters on scrolled bases and foliage festoons supporting segmental, keystoned, pediment with cornucopia and flowers. North Transept East Wall : To Edward Noel long, by Bedford. Died 1809. Stone tablet with relief recording shipping accident in which he died. Altar painting of Madonna and child attributed to Cima.

Listing NGR: SU8969647894

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 288166

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing