- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029612 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 22:06:27.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Guildford (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 94597 48313
SU 94NW WANBOROUGH C.P. HOGS BACK
House. 1896 by C.A. Voysey for Julian Sturgis, extended to the west in 1913/14 by Herbert Baker. Whitewashed roughcast with smooth ashlar dressings, hipped slate roof swept out at eaves. 2 storeys and attic in gables and under flat lead roofed, leaded casement dormers. Multiple ridge stacks to left end, left of centre, right of centre,and right end. Tiled pentice drip-course over ground floor, deep boarded eaves. Stone dressed leaded casement fenestration. Entrance front: irregular broken roof line. Hipped 2 storey range to left 3-windows on first floor and large battering buttresses to right. Steep gable over narrow bay the other side of the buttress 2 windows on the first floor and one large mullioned and transomed window below. Taller square tower to centre with roundel window over 4 first floor windows, irregularly placed, and ground floor door. Gabled bay and wing to right with first floor windows in continuous strip, 4 windows below. Slight projection, chamfered, to right end. Main entrance to right of centre in chamfered edge, stone, recessed porch with block modillion hood.
Garden front: large gable to left end with slits in apex. 3 dormer windows buttressed to right end. Irregular leaded casement fenestration, 9 windows across first floor, 7 below. 2 storey square bay to left with continuous window strip on both floors, smaller square bay to right. Single storey extension to left end. Return wall to right end with arched door giving access to service court.
Interior: some fittngs survive, mainly locks and keys. Board doors. Wood and stone fireplace surrounds, coved ceilings.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971 pp 267-8)
Listing NGR: SU9459748313
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 267-268
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing