THE RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1029698

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1951

Statutory Address: THE RECTORY, CHURCH SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029698 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 22:26:44.

Location

Statutory Address: THE RECTORY, CHURCH SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Spelthorne (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 07691 66632

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 06NE SUNBURY-ON-THAMES, FORMER UD CHURCH SQUARE Shepperton 3/15 The Rectory 11/9/51

GV II*

House, former rectory. C15, refronted in c.1700 and extended to rear. Timber framed, clad to front with mathematical tiles, coved plaster eaves and hipped plain tiled roofs; C20 tiles to left. H-shape plan. Two storeys and attics to centre under 4 tile hung, hip-roofed, glazing-bar sash dormers; first floor jettied on moulded bressumer. Rear stack to left of centre, end stack to left and ridge stack to right end of centre range. Seven 12-pane, glazing-bar sash windows across the centre of the first floor in open boxes, six windows below. One sash window on each floor of end wings and on inner return walls. Central panelled door under flat hood on volute scroll brackets. Right hand return front:- Leaded oriel window to ground floor left, mixed sash windows and case- ment fenestration on remainder. C20 extension to right with leaded window wrapping around the corner. Rear - angle bay range to left of yellow brick, hipped slate roofed range to right with cambered-head sash fenestration. Interior:- Hall house, reputedly dating from 1498. Moulded ceiling frames exposed on ground floor room to right with roll moulded and chamfered spine beam. Carolean staircase with straight string and oak newels. C18 Chinese hand painted designs recently discovered on the walls.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p. A. SARIDGE: THE PARSONAGE IN ENGLAND (1964) pps. 90-2, 111-2, 150, 183 Photo XVII.

Listing NGR: TQ0769166632

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 287986

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971)
Savidge, A , The Parsonage in England its History and Architecture, (1964), 90-2 111-2
Savidge, A , The Parsonage in England its History and Architecture, (1964), 150 183

End of official listing