CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1029719

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Nov-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029719 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 07:40:39.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Tandridge (District Authority)

Parish: Tatsfield

National Grid Reference: TQ 41724 56142

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 45NW TATSFIELD C.P. CHURCH HILL TATSFIELD 4/280 Church of St Mary 11.6.58 the Virgin Parish Church) II

Church. C12 with C13 alterations, tower 1838 and south porch late C19. Rubblestone with stone dressings, mortar rendering to chancel, vestry and north nave wall, timber framed south porch; all with plain tiled roofs. Nave and chancel with vestry to north east, porch to south and tower to west. Single stage tower with diagonal buttresses, stone cornice and arched trefoil head lancets above; chancel walls battering to north and south. 2 lancet windows to north side. Perpendicular window to south, C14 window to east.

Interior: simple, Crown-post roof to nave, 3 framed bays, window to south west with round headed rear-arch on thin jamb shafts with moulded capitals, 1 pointed chancel arch dying into imposts, quatrefoil window in C13 south chancel wall. South chancel lancet rear arch with keel shaped section main order on shafts with circular abaci and continuous inner order, c1230.

Fittings: Ogee arched piscina on east chancel wall. Two rectangular openings on south wall. Stone font, bowl on stem with billet type decoration on top.

Monument: South nave wall. Dedicated to John Corbett died 1712. Oak aedicular type with gilt framing, urn in broken pediment top supported on Doric half columns.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp. 480-1

Listing NGR: TQ4172456142

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 287935

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 480-481

End of official listing