This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL BRIDGE NUMBER 61

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL BRIDGE NUMBER 61

List entry Number: 1029863

Location

SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL BRIDGE NUMBER 61

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Newcastle-under-Lyme

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Loggerheads

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-May-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 362644

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 63 SE LOGGERHEADS C.P SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL Tyrley 11/162 Bridge No.61

II

Canal bridge. 1829, date on keystone to south side. Thomas Telford and Alexander Easton, engineers. Coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings. Wide elliptical arch with voussoirs andkeystone on south; coped parapet and flat string course. Cast iron posts on towpath side with grooves for holding ropes, formerly used on narrow boats. This stretch of canal formerly formed part of the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal (Act passed 1826, opened 1835), which was absorbed by the Ellesmere and Chester Canal in 1845 and eventually became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846. V.C.H. II, (1967), p.295; Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands, Pp.183-9.

Listing NGR: SJ6857933683

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1967), 295
Hadfield, C, 'The Canals of the British Isles' in The Canals of the West Midlands, (1969), 183-9

National Grid Reference: SJ 68579 33683

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029863 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2018 at 10:18:31.

End of official listing