This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NOTRE DAME CONVENT SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NOTRE DAME CONVENT SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1029897

Location

NOTRE DAME CONVENT SCHOOL, RACECOURSE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Tandridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Dormansland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Apr-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 287478

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 34SE LINGFIELD C.P. RACECOURSE ROAD

9/234 Notre Dame Convent School (formerly listed as 11/6/58 Batnors Hall)

GV II

House now School. 1589 with refronting of 1718, extended in 1883 and to rear left in C20. Timber framed on rubblestone plinth, red and brown brick front with plain tiled hipped roofs. 2 storeys, symmetrical 7 bay front, centre 3 recessed, with brick plinth, plat bands over ground and first floors, gauged brick angle piers and panelled stone-coped parapet. C19 sash windows throughout under gauged brick heads, cut brick scalloped decoration to centre window on first floor, and centre panel of parapet. Lead hopper heads of pipes in angles of front dated 1718. Parallel brick extensions to rear left dated 1883. Flat roofed extensions to left and rear left not included.

Interior:- Ceiling frame and panelling to dining room with Elizabethan style overmantel to fireplace decorated with strapwork and dated 1589. Staircase in Main hall with foliage and scroll carving to tread ends and turned balusters.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p.350.

Listing NGR: TQ3999043286

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 350

National Grid Reference: TQ 39990 43286

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029897 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2018 at 12:09:50.

End of official listing