CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1030064

Date first listed: 28-Feb-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030064 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 17:56:57.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Surrey Heath (District Authority)

Parish: Bisley

National Grid Reference: SU 95787 59592

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 95NE BISLEY C.P. CHURCH LANE

9/2 Church of St. John the Baptist 28/2/55 II*

Church. C13 with C14 porch. Early C19 chancel and north aisle 1873. Carstone to aisle walls with sandstone block dressings, stock brick chancel and brick extensions, timber framed porch. Plain tiled roofs with weatherboard belfry under wood shingled broach spire to west. Nave with pent roof aisle to north, chancel to east with vestry and extensions to south; bellcote and porch to west end. Buttresses to west end; stone dressed windows, 3-light to south, one C14, one C19. Lancet windows to east end. Arched planked door in stone surround with dogtooth decoration; hood mould over with end stops. Timber framed porch, open over panelled dado walls, moulded mullions above.

Interior:- Simple, whitewash interior, 2 bay north aisle with round piers and chamfered arches; timber frame of belfry to west end with moulded beams tying into walls.

Fittings:- Wood panelled pulpit. Sandstone font with octagonal bowl, panelled decorations on each face alternating roundels and celtic crosses. Octagonal stem on plinth below.

V.C.H. Vol. II p.428-9, 453. III p398. PEVSNER. Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p.112.

Listing NGR: SU9578759592

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 287071

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E , The Victoria History of the County of Surrey, (1905), 428-9
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911), 398
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971)

End of official listing