PAINSHILL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1030132

Date first listed: 17-Mar-1982

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Nov-1984

Statutory Address: PAINSHILL HOUSE, PORTSMOUTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PAINSHILL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030132 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 08:30:36.

Location

Statutory Address: PAINSHILL HOUSE, PORTSMOUTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Elmbridge (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 09727 60351

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 06SE BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE PORTSMOUTH ROAD

Cobham

4/334 Painshill House 17.3.82. (Formerly listed under Painshill Park)

GV II*

House, now divided. Said by Harrison to have been built in 1778 by Richard Jupp for Benjamin Bond Hopkins, altered by Decimus Burton in C19 with C19 wings. Rendered with hipped slate roofs and multiple rendered stacks. 2 storeys over basement, rusticated to centre, with dentilled eaves. Main block of 3 bays,centre bowed . Sash windows to first floor, tripartite in outer bays, with flat hood surrounds to bow bay windows. Ground floor windows to outer bays are casements, arched to central, bowed bay. Projecting C19 porch to centre approached up a flight of 5 steps with iron rail to left side. 6 panel door in arched recess on left side of porch with Ionic pilaster surround, urns and roundel decoration above. Single storey wing to right, further 3 bay 2 storey wing to left breaking forward and containing additional doors. Garden Front: Bowed outer bays through two storeys with single storey, Doric columned loggia to centre, now glazed. Interior: fine oval entry hall in Adam style. Stone staircase with wrought iron balustrade and domed top light. Drawing room to centre of garden front has chimmney breast ascribed to Flaxman. This house, on a different site, replaced the original Panshill built for Charles Hamilton- one of the earliest English landscape gardeners. The gardens of the original house survive largely intact and are under restoration at the time of re-survey. VIEWS OF SEATS OF NOBLEMEN AND GENTLEMEN : J.P. NEALE 1824. COUNTRY LIFE : Article 10.3.04. VISITATIONS OF SEATS : J.B BURKE 1852 THE ENGLISH LANDSCAPE GARDEN: U.F. CLARK HARRISON VIEWS OF SEATS 1787.

Listing NGR: TQ0972760351

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 286920

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Burke, J B, Visitation of Seats, (1852)
Clark Harrison, U F , The English Landscape Garden
Neale, J P , Views of Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen, (1824)
Watts, , Views of Seats, (1787)
'Country Life' in 10 March, (1904)

End of official listing