Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030202.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-May-2021 at 02:31:29.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Elmbridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 13428 63328


TQ 16SW 5/l16


(Formerly listed as Claremont)



Country house, now the Claremont-Fancourt school. 1770 by Henry Holland, Lancelot (Capability) Brown and John Soane for Lord Clive. Yellow brick, stone plinth and dressings with hipped slate roofs. End stacks. 2 storeys over basement with attic under flat roofed dormers. Rectangular, 9 bays by 7 around central,top-lit staircase. Main front: 9 bays with ashlar string course over basement, modillion cornice with stone balustrade to roof. Glazing bar sash windows in stone surrounds projecting hoods and cills on scroll brackets to first floor, alternating triangular and segmental pediments over ground floor windows, all with balconies below. Central doorcase under segmental pediment, double(half-glazed) doors with oval tracery to transome light above. Centre three bays behind giant portico of 4 Corinthian columns on plinth with arched passage under, approached up a flight of 22 steps. Dentilled pediment with coat of arms in tympaneum and paterae in freize. Return fronts: 7 bays with central 3 bay brick dormers to roof on stone brackets across centre three windows of first floor, central window in pedimented surround. Ground floor centre window in balconied, half Ionic columned surround with segmental pediment over. Rear: 4 fluted giant pilasters to centre 3 bays, triangular pediment above. Rusticated triple arched terrace to centre of ground floor with curved flights of stairs to ends and wrought iron balustrade. Interior: Entrance Hall- rectangular with inset oval ceiling and triglyph freize on 8 red scagliola Doric columns, oval patterned stone floor. Square, oblong and oval relief panels over doors and niches, oval relief of the "Forge of Vulcan" in the marble fire- place surround. Anthemion freize to main, pedimented, doorcase. Staircase hall- square with double arched screen to left. 2 storys, arched niches to first floor. 6 panelled doors in moulded surrounds, geometric freize to first floor. Drawing room- Gilt palmette door surrounds to panelled doors, niches on left hand wall. Dado panelling with white and green stone fireplace, Ionic ¾ columns flanking with freize over. The White Room- Dado panelling, plasterwork panels to walls and delicate low relief ceiling plasterwork with central rose and garlanded urns. The Gold Room (Library)- Gilt anthemion freize to bookcases and ceiling. Fine scroll plasterwork in panelled ceiling, white marble fireplace. Blue Room- coved ceiling with fan and foliage plasterwork, carved and moulded door surrour Assembly Room (The Great Drawing Room):Deep coved ceiling with scroll freize, divided into three with central oval, fielded panels to walls. Original fireplace with two end caryatids. PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) ppl6O-1. SUMMERSON. J. :ARCHITIIITURE IN BRITAIN 1530-1830. p457. DOWNES J.K. : ENGLISH BAROQUE ARCHITECTURE (1966) p84.

Listing NGR: TQ1342863328


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Downes, K, English Baroque Architecture, (1966)
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971)
Summerson, J , Architecture in Britain 1530-1830, (1970), 457
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 40 Surrey,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/03240/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Christopher Fransella. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].