CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1030224

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030224 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 00:05:12.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Elmbridge (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 10200 66526

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 16NW BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE CHURCH STREET

Walton on Thames 2/74 Church of St. Mary 19.10.51. GV I

Church. C13 with C14 chancel, C17 additions and C19 restoration. Flint with stone dressings, brick north aisle, buttresses and tower parapet, rendered chancel with plain tiled roofs. Tower to west , nave with aisles and south porch, chancel to east with vestry to north east. Square tower with curious, steeply sloping, diagonal buttresses, the result of C19 restoration. One lancet window to each face of first stage with crowning flagpole and iron weathervane. North aisle: C17 casement windows under flat drip mouldings, C20 windows to south aisle, C19 east window- 3-light with cusped, Decorated tracery. Interior: Four bay nave arcade, Norman round piers to north with scalloped capitals, c 1150. South aisle arcade C14, octagonal piers with moulded capitals, pointed C14 chancel arch. C17 timber, Queen-post roof to nave. Fittings: Sedelia and Piscina on south chancel wall-C14. C19 stone pulpit of polychr- ome marble, octagonal, with angle columns. Octagonal stone font. Gallery over north aisle and across the west end of the nave, partly Jacobean with square, tapering, strapwork balusters, the remainder copied in 1925. Organ case of c1680 by Bernard Smith for Charles II's private chapel at Windsor, restored in 1936. Monuments: North aisle: Richard Boyle, Viscount Shannon. Erected 1755 by F.L. Roubiliac. Grey and white marble c 25 feet high. Large pedestal to bottom with seated daughter of the Viscount, her arm draped around an urn . Flanking angle scrolls either side of carved tent pavilion behind the standing, life-size figure of the Viscount on a smaller plinth, leaning on a gun. Cannon and carriage to left, standards and drum to right. North aisle wall: Brass to John Selwyn, died 1587. Mounted on a stone tablet. Male and female standing figures to either side, 11 children between. Square plaque above of a man riding a stag- commemorating Selwyn's exploit of killing a stag at Queen Elizabeth's feet. South Aisle: over south door: Rodney Memorial. 1774. Adam style wall plaque, stone with black stone band around the central inscription. Lotus freize across the top and thin pilasters to the sides. Oval urn to centre with garland decoration, apron below containing cartouche . Spandrel of arch to east on north arcade: Henry Fletcher. Died 1807. Aedicular pedimented plaque on cill blocks. North chancel wall: Matthew Kirby. Died 1721, erected 1730. Grey and white stone with projecting fluted Ionic pilasters, flanking scrolls and 2 putti above with cartouche shield on gadrooned pedestal. Cill volutes and apron below with winged cherub's head. Henry Skrine. Died 1824 by Jospeh Gott. White stone stele with seated woman and standing figure of Faith to the left. South Chancel wall: Mr. & Mrs. Christopher D'Oyley. 1821 by F. Chantry. Grey ground with Greek stele containing mourning draped female over monument/tomb of her husband. Brown marble wall monument. 1619, with brown inscription panel, flanking scrolls. Broken pediment above with central lantern finial. Watkins memorial. Died 1706. White stone draperied cartouche with Cherubim. Inscription of verse attributed to Queen Elizabeth on east pier of north nave arcade.

Listing NGR: TQ1020066526

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 286637

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing