CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1030457

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030457 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 12:53:46.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)

Parish: Bucklesham

National Grid Reference: TM 24454 42057

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 24 SW 3/2

BUCKLESHAM CHURCH LANE Church of St. Mary

16.3.66

II* Church; medieval core, largely rebuilt 1878 by William Smith of London. Nave, chancel, south aisle and organ chamber; the vestry and south porch added C20. Flint rubble with limestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs; an open timber-framed bell-turret with shingled broach spire at west end. Much of the north nave wall has coursed flintwork of C12 type. A few C14 features survive, heavily restored: south doorway and west aisle window, north chancel doorway and adjacent niche. North doorway and adjacent reset niche of C15; also the restored east window. North nave and chancel doors with moulded planks, C15 or C16; south porch door similar, reset from south nave doorway. Most other features are of 1878, including windows and nave arcade in the C14 manner. Fine C15 limestone font, with sunk panels on bowl, carved with emblems of evangelists; on the stem are sculptured figures of lions. Included as Grade II* because of the early nave walling and the exceptionally fine font.

Listing NGR: TM2445442057

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 286168

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing