This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1030511

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Swilland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 285978

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 15 SE 1/16

SWILLAND CHURCH LANE Church of St. Mary

16.3.66

II* Church, medieval. Alterations of early C16, early C19 an d 1897. Nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. Flint rubble walling to nave and chancel mainly plastered, with dressings of limestone (the east end was rebuilt before 1855, with limestone east window in the C14 style). Concrete plaintiled roofs. C12 south doorway, the arch of 4 orders with typical restored enrichment and 2 orders of shafts, of which only the cushion capitals and bases remain. A 2-light C14 south window has wide inner splays; probably a C12 window enlarged. 2 early C14 1-light windows and simple blocked north doorway. 4-bay nave roof of c.1500, of hammerbeam type with arch-braced high collars and king-posts; the easternmost truss has a moulded rood-beam instead of hammerbeams (no chancel arch). Ceiled canted roof to chancel. Tower added early C16; red brick, with diaper patterning in burnt headers and quoins of limestone. Prominent buttresses and stair turret. Good moulded west doorway with square label and coat of arms in the spandrels, original oak plank door with linen fold carving and some enriched battening. Above is a 3-light west window. The belfry stage was added 1897; prominent, timber-framed and brick- nogged, gabled roof with dormer belfry windows and copper-clad spire. Timber- framed gabled porch also of c.1900. Fine well-carved octagonal pulpit of c.1600. Richly-carved wooden Arms of Queen Anne on south wall. 3 nave windows have stained glass figures of c.1880. Altar reredos of late C19 with carved and gilded figures of saints and angels.

Listing NGR: TM1878252969

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 18782 52969

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030511 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2018 at 09:14:20.

End of official listing