CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1030516
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030516 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 10:19:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Tuddenham St. Martin
National Grid Reference:
TM 19172 48422

Details

TM 14 NE 3/31

TUDDENHAM ST. MARTIN THE STREET Church of St. Martin

16.3.66

I Church. Medieval with alternations of 1843, 1861 and 1920 Nave, chancel west tower, south porch, north vestry. Nave and chancel walls of plastered flint rubble with limestone dressings. Tower of squared knapped flint and limestone rubble, the belfry stage with chequerwork of red brick and flint; diagonal buttresses and crenellated parapets with flushwork panels. Plaintiled roofs with parapet gables. C12 north doorway with 2 orders of engaged shafts with cushion capitals, roll and chevron moulded arch; C15 plank door. An early C14 angle piscina with moulded shafts beside blocked south chancel window. Major alterations of mid and late C15. Legacies for the building of tower survive from 1452-60. 3 stages, the west doorway has a labelled arch with weathered carving in corbels and spandrels; original door with moulded battens. West window above of 3 lights. North and south nave windows of 3 lights, late C15. Good 5-bay late C15 roof with hammer-beams carved as angels; more angels are affixed to wall-pieces. Heavily moulded cornice, high collars and kingposts. Roodloft stairs in south wall complete with upper and lower doorways; in the north wall opposite is an image niche. Octagonal limestone font, an inscription on the base records its gift in 1443 by Richard and Agnes Sylvester; very fine sculptured figures in high relief on bowl and at corners of stem; painted pyramid cover added C19. C15 oak octagonal pulpit with exceptional carving; corner turrets support figures in niches, and each panel has a traceried head; the door (now facing the wall) has a carved portcullis on its panel. Fine poppyhead bench ends of C15, with buttresses supporting carved figures; thoroughly but skilfully restored c.1843 by Henry Ringham; some of his choirstalls also have C15 bench ends. Vestry and south porch added 1920 (date on tie-beam), in the Tudorbethan style. East window renewed in C14 style, complete with glass by F. Preedy, 1861. In the sanctuary is a wall-tablet with painted coat of arms, to John Sicklemoore (1644) and his wife Elizabeth. Opposite is the painted coat of arms of Richard Keeble (1653); an oval plaque beneath to him and his wife Mary and 3 children. Floor slab of black marble in nave, to William Minter (1739) and Elizabeth (1729).

Listing NGR: TM1917248422

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
285993
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/02315/24
Rights: Copyright IoE R H MacMillan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].