Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030621.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2020 at 18:42:29.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 39596 69133



10/130 Cockfield Hall 25.10.51 (Previously listed under The Street)


Former manor house. North wing mid C16, for Sir Arthur Hopton; remainder of house rebuilt early C17 (probably 1613) for Sir Robert Brooke; main range altered late C18 and early-mid C19 (including addition of third floor and an extra bay to the facade); south side altered and rebuilt mid C20 following bomb damage. Red brick, plaintiles. Main range: 3 storeys; symmetrical facade with 7 window range, 3:1:3, the bays separated by coupled brick pilasters; giant brick pilasters with moulded brick and stone pinnacles to quoins and centre bay, brick bands at second floor and eaves levels, wavy parapet with tall shaped gable to centre bay with coat of arms within; ground and first floors with inset 8-pane sash windows, segmental arches, stuccoed hood moulds over ground floor windows; 2-light casement windows to third floor. Single storey entrance porch: panelled pilasters with elaborate moulded brick and stucco pinnacles; segmental arch over former doorway, now replaced by sash window. Right hand return front with original mullion and transom windows. North wing substantially in its original state: 2 storeys and attic; 3 bays to south with pilasters between, moulded brick bands at first and second floor levels and a moulded brick band above each attic window; C18 casement windows with square leaded panes, central doorway with 6-panel fielded door in original frame, rectangular fanlight; all the openings have raised rusticated surrounds; 3 crowstepped gables with square enriched moulded brick pinnacles between and on each apex. Gable end to north with similar detailing and original windows with diamond leaded glass. West front with 2 overhanging attic gables and external stack with 3 detached octagonal flues with moulded bases and linked star caps. Interior: North wing with good early C17 oak staircase with turned balusters, half balusters against wall and square newel posts with pierced finials; 2 carved stone fireplaces; a first floor room with 4 ovolo-moulded ceiling beams forming a square centre panel, none of the beams spanning the whole width of the room; painted panelling to drawing room (first floor). Main range east drawing room with very fine early C17 ornamental plaster ceiling; one first floor bedroom with parts of a C16 plasterwork frieze; great hall rebuilt 1896 by E.F. Bishopp in Jacobean style with much richly carved woodwork. Lady Catherine Grey, sister of Lady Jane Grey and great grand-daughter of Henry VII, was brought to the house in 1567 where she died the following year. Country Life 5.4.1924.

Listing NGR: TM3959669133


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07037/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Pridham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].