This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

List entry Number: 1030647

Location

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Middleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 285686

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 46 NW MIDDLETON THE STREET

(east side) 6/91 Holy Trinity Church 7.12.66 (Previously listed II* under Middleton) GV

Parish church. Medieval, restored mid C19, considerably damaged by fire 1955. Nave and chancel (under one roof), west tower, south porch. Random flint rubble, the nave and chancel mostly re-faced mid C20; plaintiled roof. C15 square tower, 4 stages and crenellated parapet, diagonal buttresses to west face only; flushwork to buttresses and parapet; 2-light west window with Y tracery, probably C19; 2-light bell chamber openings with simple wooden tracery; recessed needle spire clad with lead. Nave with 2 3-light C15 windows, other windows C19 restorations or renewals in C15 style; good C12 south doorway with 2 orders of colonnettes, scalloped capitals, and arch with roll and chevron moulding, stoup to right hand side; mid C18 porch with crenellated parapet. Chancel with good 4-light east window of c.1300, with re-used C12 billets round arch head; other windows and Priest's doorway C19 restorations or renewals. Splay of north west chancel window with C12 engaged shafting and re-used chevron moulding to pointed arch head; south west chancel window has smaller remains of C12 engaged shafting. C15 carved octagonal font with inscription to base; nave north wall with part of C15 fresco of St. Christopher and Royal Arms of George III in iron. 2 nave window splays with niches, one trefoil-headed; altered C12 angle piscina in south chancel. North chancel with wall monument to Rev. Thomas Meadows (d.1742); on either side are 2 smaller monuments to his wives. Portrait brass to Anthony Pettow (d.1610), now re-mounted at west end of nave. Graded II* for surviving medieval work.

Listing NGR: TM4300067777

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 43000 67777

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030647 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2018 at 06:33:38.

End of official listing