This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1030668

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kelsale cum Carlton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jul-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 285638

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 36 SE KELSALE-CUM-CARLTON CARLTON

7/43 CHURCH OF ST PETER 7.12.66 (Previously listed under II* Carlton Green)

Parish church of Carlton (combined with Kelsale parish in 1884). Medieval, restored 1872 and 1887. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Random flint rubble, stone dressings, red brick tower, plaintiled roofs. Early C16 tower of 4 stages with crenellated parapet and diagonal buttresses to the west; a chimney has been added at the north east corner, probably in C19; blocked west doorway with hoodmould over, later 2-light Y tracery window above; simple one-light bell chamber openings. There is some diaper work in dark headers to the lower part of the tower. Nave and chancel with early C14 2-light Y tracery windows: north side 2 to nave, 2 to chancel (plus Priest's doorway), south side one to nave, 2 to chancel; renewed 3-light east window in Decorated style. Simple south porch. Trussed rafter roof to chancel, nave roof plastered with moulded wall plate. Modern font; good carved pulpit (dated 1626) and holy table (dated 1630); 3 C15 poppyhead bench ends in nave, chancel stalls also with poppyhead ends, mostly traceried; some C18 panelling in nave, probably former box pews; Royal Arms above chancel arch. The chancel floor has 2 small late C15 effigy brasses to civilians and a C18 ledger slab. Graded II* for surviving medieval fabric.

Listing NGR: TM3822364012

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 38223 64012

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030668 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2018 at 11:21:14.

End of official listing