CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1030736
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030736.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:50:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Shottisham
National Grid Reference:
TM 32128 44701

Details

SHOTTISHAM CHURCH LANE TM 34 SW (East side) 10/129 Church of St. Margaret 16/3/66 GV II Church. Early C14. C16 and c.1867 by G C Hakewill. Coursed and random rubble flint with ashlar dressings and plain tile roof. West tower, nave with north aisle, chancel, south-western porch. Tower: west front: slightly projecting plinth, ashlar offset to top. Diagonal buttresses. Central ground floor doorway with double hollow-chamfered ashlar surround and hoodmould. Two-light window above this with C19 Decorated tracery and hollow-chamfered surround. Ashlar voussoirs above alternating with panels of knapped flints, deep key stone with flushwork cross. Lancet above this. Ashlar band at sill level of belfry opening. This has an ashlar surround and Perpendicular C19 2-light tracery with trefoil heads to the lights and hood mould. Deep string course above this at the lower level of the parapet with animal heads and square flowers. Battlemented parapet above with ashlar coping. North face: similar save that it has no lower doorway or window at the level of the first stage. South face: similar to north face, save for the projecting staircase turret with canted angle at left which rises to the level of the lancet which is here placed slightly at left of centre. Angle buttress to extreme right hand side. East face: abuts the nave to its lower body. Above this scars in the walling show that the pitch of the roof was originally steeper. Similar belfry opening to those seen on the other sides. Nave: south face: C19 porch at left of centre with moulded ashlar arch to gabled front and paired lancets to the flanks. To left of the porch is a lancet window with C19 chamfered surround. To right of the porch is a C19 lancet window with ashlar surround and to right again a further C19 window of 2-light Decorated form. North face: lean-to aisle of 1868 with catslide roof continuing the line of the nave roof. No windows to its north face but triple-lancet to east side wall and low window of 4 lancet lights and trefoils and octofoil to apex at west side. Chancel: lower ridge level than nave. South face: Decorated lancet window at left with cinquefoil head, chamfered surround and hoodmould. The lower body of this window between the deep transom and the sill is now bricked up with red bricks but may previously have been shuttered and served as a sanctus window. Priest's door to right of this with chamfered ashlar surround. Two-light C19 window at right of plate tracery. East face rebuilt c.1867, a triple-lancet with a hexafoil within a chamfered circle to gable above. North face: has Perpendicular window of 2 lights with cinquefoil heads now blocked.

Interior: Nave: roof adapted c.1867 at which time the roof was lowered, c. 6 feet. Moulded wooden cornice on which stand 3/4-circular wall posts with moulded caps and bases. These connect with the principals and support arched braces which connect with the collar beams. These collar beams all have mortice holes indicating a possible earlier roof form or a flat ceiling formerly at this level. Above the collar beam are cusped arch braces connected to a yolk. Further cusped arch braces rise from this to the ridge. Running longitudinally, between the wall posts, are arched wind-braces forming alternating steep and shallow arches which connect at their apexes and a staggered purlin. Similar staggered purlin above, below which are cusped wind braces whose springing is also staggered, giving them a uniform curvature. Set of early-mid C19 pews with billet-moulded enrichment to their tops. Font of C13 date, octagonal, 2 slightly recessed arches to each face of the bowl. Central octagonal shaft surrounded by C19 colonettes to the angles of different sorts of coloured marble. Chamfered step which may also be of C13 date. Arcade of 4 arches to northern aisle with shafts of quatrefoil section and having moulded bases and caps. Rood loft staircase set within the thickness of the southern wall rising from the lowered sill of the south eastern nave window, of 7 steps with a 1/4- turn. Doorways with flattened arches to upper and lower levels. Beneath the stairs a recess for stoup or piscina also with flattened arch. Chancel: roof of common rafters with collars and angle braces with planked boarding before the ashlar posts. Lowered sedilia-sill to the south window with panels of cusped tracery to the window reveals. The tower and chancel arches are similar, both having hollow-chamfered outer arches from the sides of which spring heavy, double-chamfered inner arches.

SOURCES: Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, 1975 H. Munro Cautley, Suffolk Churches, 1982

Listing NGR: TM3212844701

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
285495
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Munro Cautley, H, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures, (1937)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05874/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Routen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].