Butley Abbey and Priory Gate House

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1030850
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
02-May-1984
Statutory Address:
Butley Abbey and Priory Gate House, Butley Abbey

Map

Ordnance survey map of Butley Abbey and Priory Gate House
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030850 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 12:08:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
Butley Abbey and Priory Gate House, Butley Abbey

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Butley
National Grid Reference:
TM 37474 49368

Details

TM 34 NE 5/2

BUTLEY BUTLEY PRIORY Butley Abbey and Priory Gate House

(Formerly listed as Butley Abbey Gatehouse under General)

16.3.66 GV I Mansion, former gatehouse to Butley Abbey. Early C14. Converted to residential use c.1734. Restored again in 1926 by W.D. Caröe. Stone and knapped flint with stone quoins and dressings. Roof raised in red brick to continuous springing: slated. Two storeys.

The main gabled carriageway runs north-south. The north front is flanked by two stages of the original buttressed towers which project forward. The south gabled front projects beyond the rear rooms of the towers. The north front has two sham windows in Decorated tracery either side of a similar glazed window. The sham windows are filled with flushwork. Below the windows is an armorial panel of thirty-five shields in five rows. The north towers each have a sham Decorated window above which is a straight headed window with three ogee headed lights. The original carriageway entrance has a depressed moulded pointed arch on stone ashlar jambs. To the left is a pedestrian entrance with pointed arch: both entrances are filled with timber studs, mullion windows and red herringbone brick infill. The south front has similar sham windows to those of the north and also a carriageway doorway of similar style with modern entrance door. The left and right hand rooms behind the towers have C18 sash windows in flush frames with glazing bars and gauged brick arches and red brick jambs.

Inside the main carriageway the ceiling is vaulted with stone ribs and stone infill; the smaller rooms either side are also vaulted with brick infill in domed form. There is also a fine Georgian staircase and some Elizabethan panelling.

The Abbey was founded in 1171 by Ranulph de Glanville, Justiciar of Henry II and the gatehouse is considered "one of the most ambitious and interesting buildings of the C14 in Suffolk". N. Pevsner (see The Buildings of England, Suffolk volume). The whole complex of the Abbey and Priory is fully documented and described in Journal of the Royal Archaeological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland, 1934, by Messrs. J.L.N. Meyers and J.B. Ward Perkins.

Listing NGR: TM3747449368

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
285145
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974)
'Journal of the Royal Archaeological Institute' in Journal of the Royal Archaeological Institute, (1934)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/14968/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Durrant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].