CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1030893

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030893 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 09:02:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)

Parish: Martlesham

National Grid Reference: TM 26247 46899

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 24 NE MARTLESHAM CHURCH LANE

Church of St. Mary 2/12 16.3.66 II* GV

Parish church. West tower C15 with C14 nave and south porch. Chancel rebuilt c.1836 and east end again in 1905. Tower is of random flint and ashlar with stepped diagonal buttresses with flushwork of sacred initials at base; flushwork on battlements. Nave and chancel are of flint and stucco with plain tiled roofs. Interior of nave with heptagonal roof c.1900; original hammer beam roof was reused in rebuilt chancel. C14 octagonal font. Pulpit dated 1614; some old poppy heads remain on some benches with animals on arms. There are six divisions of the dado of the screen now on south side of chancel. A fresco to St. Christopher was uncovered c.1900 on north wall. A stained glass window in the Arts and Crafts manner by Walter J. Pearce is dated 1903. II* for tower.



Listing NGR: TM2624746899

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 285039

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing