This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1030902

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Benhall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 285063

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 36 SE BENHALL

2/2 Church of St Mary 7.12.66

II*

Parish church. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north transept and north vestry. Random flint with stone dressings; slated roof to nave and lead roof to chancel. C15 tower, unbuttressed: 2 light bell chamber openings to each face with a further cinquefoil-headed bell chamber opening to west; crenellated parapet with flushwork decoration; string course to base of parapet with stone carvings at intervals; west doorway with original plank door, hood mould with carved shields as label stops. Nave and chancel largely C15, considerably restored C19 with renewed windows, although east window probably largely original. Priest's doorway renewed, with C19 shallow gabled porch. C12 south door to nave with one order of colonettes and chevron moulding to front and soffit of arch, considerably restored. C15 south porch: doorway arch decorated with'fleurons; empty niche above door. North transept and vestry are mid C19 additions in the Perpendicular style, the vestry with an east window to match that of the chancel. Interior with a good set of C19 box pews, C17 octagonal pulpit, plain C19 font, C19 west gallery. Arms of George III above south nave door. The east window contains 4 coloured armorial shields. Brasses to Edward Duke and Dorothy his wife (1598) and to Ambrose Duke and Elizabeth his ife (1610), both in chancel floor. Good hanging monument on north chancel wall to Sir Edward Duke (d. 1732) and others of his family: large inscribed plate flanked by marble columns and supported on consoles; pedimented top with 2 putti. Arched recess within north chancel wall contains memorial tablets to Edmund Holland (d.1884) and Edward Holland (d.1829). South transept now screened by organ; the chapel was dedicated in 1978. Graded II" for interior features.

Listing NGR: TM3720961861

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 37209 61861

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030902 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2018 at 12:55:18.

End of official listing