CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1030914
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
16-Jun-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT, FALKENHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030914 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:21:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT, FALKENHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Falkenham
National Grid Reference:
TM 29331 39043

Details

TM 2E NE FALKENHAM FALKENHAM ROAD (track off north side) CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT 2/3 16.3.66 Gv II*

Parish Church. C15 tower, C14 nave restored early C19 together with south porch which still retains its original stone quoins and most of its moulded C14 entrance arch; porch converted to vestry late C19. Late C19 semi-octagonal brick apse added to south end of nave. Former chancel demolished C17 or C18. Plain tiled roof with brick facing and stone dressings. 3 stage, battlemented tower in random flint, flushwork and string courses at each stage, diagonal buttresses to west front, angled buttresses to east; west door has pointed, moulded arch studded with fleurons, and surmounted with shields representing the Earl of Warwick and the Mowbray family 1428-1471. Above west doorway is a C19 window in decorated style; belfry has restored C19 louvred windows. The nave walls are probably of septaria and encased in gault brick. The interior has a restored C14 single-hammer beam and arched braced roof with angels to bases of wall posts and the hammer beams end with crowned figures holding shields. C15 font with octagonal bowl and eight panels carved with emblems of the four Evangelists alternating with angels and other figures bearing shields. The apse has a reredos with carved centre piece which was once the front of a chest. Tower contains 4 bells, 2 cast by T. Darbie of Ipswich in 1666 and 2 by T. Gardiner of Sudbury in 1728. Graded II* for tower.

Listing NGR: TM2933139043

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
284984
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].