Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1030939

Date first listed: 18-Jun-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030939 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2019 at 03:42:04.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Telford and Wrekin (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wrockwardine

National Grid Reference: SJ 62458 12051


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ 6212 3/658 18.6.59


2. Mainly late C12 to early C13. Large sandstone church with tiled roofs. Cruciform plan with nave, chancel, north and south transepts, crossing tower and chapels on north and south sides of chancel. Nave has C19 restored Decorated style windows, the west window with reticulated tracery. Chancel has reticulated traceried 3-light east window and round-headed lancel in south wall. North and south transepts have 3-light perpendicular windows and south doorway of south transept has round arch and thick continuous quarter-round mouldings. The north doorway of north transept has round arch and one order of shafts though the shafts are missing the trumpet and waterleaf capitals remain. North chapel has decorated 3-light east window. Small perpendicular south chapel. Crossing tower of C12 with C14 upper part. It has large buttresses with set-offs on south-west and north-west corners and a circular turret on the north-west corner with ogee cap, battlements and pyramidal tiled roof. Lancets in the tower stage and Decorated 2-light bell-openings above. Interior: Massive crossing piers with narrow fluting to the capitals. C19 roofs. Modern font. Jacobean pulpit. Communion rail with balusters. Stained glass by O'Connar 1861 and by Kempe 1887 and 1902. Memorial window of 1906 by Mary Newill. Monument to William Chudde 1765 - large Rococo tablet.

Listing NGR: SJ6246312051


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 362515

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing