This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WINDMILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WINDMILL

List entry Number: 1031207

Location

WINDMILL, MILL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Thelnetham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Sep-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 284348

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 07 NW THELNETHAM MILL ROAD

2/85 Windmill

II*

Tower windmill. 1819 with later modernisation (windshaft dated 'J.AICKMAN.LYNN. 1832'); restoration to working order commenced 1980. Tarred brick tower with ground floor and 3 upper floors; small segmental-headed casement windows, boarded half-door; conical vertically-boarded cap; no sails or fantail at time of survey. Machinery intact: wooden clasp-arm brakewheel with iron teeth, iron windshaft, iron wallower, wooden upright shaft in two sections, wooden clasp-arm spurwheel with iron teeth, iron stone nuts with wooden cogs: 2 pairs of underdriven millstones on the first floor and a third pair on the ground floor driven by engine via an external pulleywheel ; wooden crownwheel driving sack hoist. The diary of Thomas King, a local carpenter, records that the mill was begun in 1819 and 'set to work on Christmas Day Dec.25 1819'.

Listing NGR: TM0110078967

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 01100 78967

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031207 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 02:03:18.

End of official listing