Church of St Mary

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1031237

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Statutory Address: Church of St Mary, Culford Park, Bury St Edmunds, IP28 6TX

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031237 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 14:08:57.

Location

Statutory Address: Church of St Mary, Culford Park, Bury St Edmunds, IP28 6TX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)

Parish: Culford

National Grid Reference: TL 83341 70298

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/06/2018

TL 87 SW 1/16

CULFORD CULFORD PARK Church of St.Mary

GV II Parish church. Dated 1856 on south porch. Rebuilt in early English style by W.G.Habershon for the Rev. E.R. Benyon, rector and lord of the manor. The tower of the earlier church was heightened and encased in flint and Bath stone to match the rest of the church. The north aisle was added in 1908.

Random kidney flint, with Bath stone quions and dressings and plaintiled roofs. Two-light windows to nave with cusped plate-tracery, and similar single-light windows to chancel. A three-light east window. The south porch has a steeply-pitched plaintiled roof. The tower is of four stages: diagonal buttresses faced with panels of black knapped flint, embattled parapet with flushwork panels, heavy, ornate two-light windows to top stage. A vestry to the north of the chancel.

The interior contains many monuments from the older church: to members of the Bacon family, most important to Jane Bacon, 1654, a large standing wall monument including her husband and children: to various Cornwallises: and, in the north aisle, a large recumbent effigy of Countess Cadogan (d.1907) in white marble in a vaulted recess with a cross, putti and large vine-trails on the back wall. Below the church, vaults of the Cornwallis and Cadogan families.

Listing NGR: TL8334170298

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 284212

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 39 Suffolk,

End of official listing