CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1031264
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
12-Apr-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031264 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 12:44:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Knettishall
National Grid Reference:
TL 97279 80270

Details

TL 98 SE KNETTISHALL

2/54 Church of All Saints (Formerly listed as Remains 14.7.55 of Church of All Saints)

- II

Former parish church, disused since before 1900, and now a roofless shell. C13 and later. Flint rubble with freestone dressings. A small, narrow west tower in 4 stages: remains of an embattled parapet with panels of flint flushwork. On the south face are 2 panels with the crowned monogram SM, one on each side of a central panel with a circle ornamented with mouchettes. Below the parapet a gargoyle head on the south side. The top stage has 2-light cusped early C14 windows to each face. The west window of the first stage was apparently the same, but the tracery is now fragmentary. The side walls of the nave and chancel stand to the tops of the windows, but all are gaping holes except for the 2 openings at the west end of the nave, which have the remains of lancets with trefoil heads and very deep inner splays. The east wall stands to full height, with the tracery of a 3-light window with trefoil-headed lancets. The church was formerly thatched. In 1933, when it was already much decayed, its fittings were removed: the early C15 traceried font to Lakenham church, the Stuart pulpit altar rails, holy table, font cover, and other fittings, to Riddlesworth. For a description of the church in 1933, see Munro Cautley 'Suffolk Churches and their Treasures' p.285.

Listing NGR: TL9727980270

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
284175
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Munro Cautley, H, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures, (1937), 285

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/05450/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Raymond Warren. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].