MAYO FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1031333
Date first listed:
11-Oct-1968
Statutory Address:
MAYO FARMHOUSE, PLOX BROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAYO FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031333 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 17:33:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
MAYO FARMHOUSE, PLOX BROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
West Lancashire (District Authority)
Parish:
Tarleton
National Grid Reference:
SD 45451 20792

Details

TARLETON PLOX BROW SD 42 SE 4/60 No.17 (Mayo Farmhouse) 11.10.1968 GV II

Farmhouse. Dated 1635 on porch (1685 when 1st listed); altered. White painted render on handmade brick, slate roof. Three-bay baffle-entry plan with addition to rear of 2nd and 3rd bays. Two storeys; single storey gabled porch, in line with ridge chimney at junction of 1st and 2nd bays, has slightly-arched outer doorway with panelled raised lettering on the lintel, the lettering now worn and almost illegible: ( ) 1635 R ( ), inner board door with strap hinges and pegged wooden doorcase; to left, 1st bay is set back (continued eaves overhanging here); 3 windows on each floor, all large modern alterations. Right-hand gable wall has a partly-blocked 6-light mullioned window at 1st floor, with a label. Rear altered. Interior: 1st and 2nd bays have back-to-back inglenook fireplaces, that in the 2nd bay with cyma-stopped chamfered bressummer, 2 similarly decorated beams tenoned into it; formerly 2 doorways to 3rd bay, one now blocked; partition between 2nd and 3rd bays timber framed with wattle-and-daub panels (concealed).

Listing NGR: SD4545120792

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357763
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/08839/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Finch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].