CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1031401

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031401 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 01:46:22.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)

Parish: The Saxhams

National Grid Reference: TL 78849 62812

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 76 SE 5/96

GREAT SAXHAM Church of St Andrew 14.7.55

II* Church; medieval, with major alterations c.1869. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north organ chamber. Flint rubble and septaria with C18 red brick work to chancel and C19 rounded flints in restored areas; plaintiled roofs. Late C12 north nave doorway has arched head in 2 orders with engaged shafts, similar south doorway, plainer with hood-mould, chamfered reveals and imposts. Nave roof C15 with scissor-braced coupled rafters, ashlar pieces and moulded cornice supported on knees curved for plaster coving. Chancel greatly altered 1798 (south wall in red brickwork); all windows C19; roof C18 or C19, matchboarded. C15 tower with 2-light belfry openings, stair turret to mid- height, crenellated parapets, single-light ground floor window. C15 porch, parapet gabled; doorway has pilasters with moulded capitals; 2-light side windows; butt-purlin roof with crenellated cornice. Circa 1869 alterations include: gabled organ chamber in early Gothic style, small vestry against tower, alterations to probably Norman tower arch, new chancel arch. Windows: nave Decorated style, dated 1874 and 1859 on glazing ; chancel east side 3- light Decorated, north and south walls Perpendicular. Nave floor has C18 quarry tiles, tower has stone slabs. West tower window has reused German glass dated 1632, east chancel window has C16 glass brought from France and Switzerland 1815. Octagonal C15 limestone font with sunk quatrefoiled panels. Octagonal early C17 pulpit, restored C19. Simple C16 poppy head nave benches; C19 poppyhead nave benches and choir stalls, some have richly carved reused C17 panels. Brass eagle lectern dated 1818. Painted coat of arms of Queen Anne over south door and of Thomas Mills over north door. Brass in chancel floor, 1632, of John Eldred, Alderman of London; his mural monument with bust on sanctuary wall .

Listing NGR: TL7884962812

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 283803

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing