CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1031415

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031415 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 21:33:51.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)

Parish: Flempton

National Grid Reference: TL 81308 69933

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 86 NW FLEMPTON CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE 4/32 14.7.55

- II*

Nave, Chancel, west tower, south porch, vestry. Flint walls with limestone dressings, slated roof. Tower almost completely rebuilt 1839 in 3 stages after collapse, but east wall retains stone weathering for former thatched nave roof; 2-light belfry openings on 4 sides and first stage west window. Nave, chancel and south porch mainly mid C14, but 2 light north chancel window is early C14. Mid C14 work includes:- 3 light chancel east window and nave south window, 2 light nave and chancel windows, south porch and entrance doorway with original doors much restored but retaining trefoiled carving at upper level, plain tower arch, octagonal font with moulded shaft, broad pilastered chancel arch with capital and base mouldings, 2-light piscina in south chancel wall with net tracery. Porch, nave and chancel roofs 1839; scissor-braced principals with pendant bosses, purlins, boarded soffits, square panels with rosette and leaf ornament. Parapet gabled vestry 1839. Attar rails and pulpit mid C17. Arms of George III dated 1763 on nave wall. Nave pews with weak poppyheads 1839.

Listing NGR: TL8130569936

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 283739

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing