TURNING FORMS SCULPTURE OUTSIDE MARLBOROUGH SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1031587
Date first listed:
15-Apr-1998
Statutory Address:
TURNING FORMS SCULPTURE OUTSIDE MARLBOROUGH SCHOOL, WATLING STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TURNING FORMS SCULPTURE OUTSIDE MARLBOROUGH SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031587 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jul-2019 at 21:54:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
TURNING FORMS SCULPTURE OUTSIDE MARLBOROUGH SCHOOL, WATLING STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
St. Albans (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 14085 05782

Details

TLIONW ST ALBANS WATLING STREET (West side) 575-0/23/10015 Turning Forms sculpture outside Marlborough School

II

Sculpture. Created 1951 by Barbara Hepworth for the Festival of Britain's South Bank Exhibition. Resited here in 1952. Painted concrete, six feet high. An unusual kinetic composition, a helix structure originally made to turn by an electric motor - which was left at the South Bank. The work was conceived with Jane Drew as part of her Thameside Restaurant, and Hepworth particularly enjoyed the rare opportunity to work with another woman. The constructivist composition has a strong affinity with the work of Naum Gabo, rare in Hepworth's large-scale work. The sculpture is of added interest for its Festival associations, but also works well in its present setting.



Listing NGR: TL1408505782

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469096
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/13417/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Bernie Graham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].