LADY GODIVA STATUE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1031589

Date first listed: 15-Apr-1998

Statutory Address: LADY GODIVA STATUE, BROADGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LADY GODIVA STATUE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031589 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 18:04:13.

Location

Statutory Address: LADY GODIVA STATUE, BROADGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Coventry (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 33403 79003

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 3379 SW COVENTRY BROADGATE (east side) 833/4/10097 Lady Godiva statue

II*

Equestrian figure of Lady Godiva. 1949 by Sir Williain Reid Dick, sculptor, at the expense of William Bassett-Green. Bronze statue on Portland stone base. Rectangular plinth with overhanging cavetto moulding, a podium with cavetto and roll mouldings at the base and battered sides. The design of the base is reminiscent of the work of Sir Edwin Lutyens, who had died in 1944 but with whom Dick had frequently worked. The statue symbolised the regeneration of Coventry after its bombing and was donated to boost morale at a time when rebuilding work was delayed by shortages. It was intended as the focal point of Broadgate, and originally faced the clock tower of Broadgate House where it could be seen by 'Peeping Tom'. Lady Godiva was turned through ninety degrees in 1990, to face the entrance to the Upper Precinct and to lie on axis between the Lower Precinct and Cathedral.



Listing NGR: SP3340379003

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 469098

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing