SOUTHWOOD MEMORIAL IN ST JAMES'S CHURCHYARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1031599

Date first listed: 15-Apr-1998

Statutory Address: SOUTHWOOD MEMORIAL IN ST JAMES'S CHURCHYARD, PICCADILLY W1

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOUTHWOOD MEMORIAL IN ST JAMES'S CHURCHYARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031599 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 20:25:40.

Location

Statutory Address: SOUTHWOOD MEMORIAL IN ST JAMES'S CHURCHYARD, PICCADILLY W1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 29381 80502

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2980 NW PICCADILLY, W1 (south side) 1900/70/10097 Southwood Memorial in St James's Churchyard

GV II

Memorial to Viscount Southwood (1873-1946). 1947-8 by A E Richardson; sculptor Alfred F Hardiman. Built by 'skilled deaf and dumb masons' under the supervision of Rattee and Kett. Portland stone fountain with four bronze figures of children. The fountain is oval in shape (22ft 3" by 13 ft 3"), with a high back with upturned volutes set against a raised garden created with a bequest from Lord Southwood, this is reached via steps either side, which with their retaining walls form part of the fountain's composition. Two small figures sit astride dolphins within the fountain; two more figures perch on conch shells set on the piers of the retaining walls. The back is inscribed 'VISCOUNT SOUTHWOOD'; behind a pair of niches house caskets with his ashes and those of his wife, Alice Louise Stone (1865-951).

The publisher Julius Salter Elias, created Baron and later Viscount Southwood, bequeathed money to St James's, Piccadilly, for a memorial garden. This was to be a symbol of the church's bombing and restoration, a commemoration of the courage of the people of London during the war, and a pleasant retreat from the bustle of central London. Derelict ground next to the churchyard was purchased, and dedicated by the Bishop of London on 12 May 1946. The memorial to Southwood is set in front of this. The figures commemorate Southwood's work for children as Chairman of what is now Great Ormond Street Hospital. Hardiman himself died before the monument was unveiled. Included for the quality of the sculpture, as a novel piece of garden design and as a poignant memorial from the first days of post-war reconstruction. (The Builder: 17 May 1946; The Builder: 9 May 1947; The Builder: 20 May and 2 September 1949).

Listing NGR: TQ2938180502

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 June 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 469111

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in 9 May, (1947)
'The Builder' in 2 September, (1949)
'The Builder' in 20 May, (1949)
'The Builder' in 17 May, (1946)
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 16 June 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/135601
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 June 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/53570

End of official listing