This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WEIGHTON LOCK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WEIGHTON LOCK

List entry Number: 1031829

Location

WEIGHTON LOCK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: East Riding of Yorkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Broomfleet

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Aug-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 164969

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



SE 82 NE BROOMFLEET

12/7 Weighton Lock

- II Lock and sluice. 1773, on datestone which also records John Grundy, engineer; Samuel Allen or Allam, surveyor; John Smith, carpenter; Mr Jefferson, mason. Repaired 1826 by Joseph Whitehead and again 1855-6. Ashlar and timber. Lock to east with humpbacked bridge, sluice to west. Lock approximately 3 metres in width and 30 metres in total length, with 2 pairs of gates and original manual winching gear. 4-course parapet to bridge. Sluice semicircular pier divides round arches over waterways, each approximately 5 metres in width originally with draw doors to north and pointing doors to south. The draw doors have recently been replaced by roller gates. Flat 3-course parapet to sluice bears plaque recording building detail to south. This lock and sluice control the outfall of the Market Weighton Canal into the River Humber. An Act of Parliament for the Market Weighton Drainage and Navigation was passed in May 1772. It was engineered by John Grundy (1719-83) and built between 1772 and 1783. Skempton A W, "The Engineering Works of John Grundy" in Lincolnshire History and Archaeology Vol 19, 1984.

Listing NGR: SE8743925637

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Lincolnshire History and Archaeology' in Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, , Vol. 19, (1984)

National Grid Reference: SE 87439 25637

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031829 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 02:42:03.

End of official listing