Former Lambeth Waterworks uncovered coalstore including tower and attached tunnels

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1031864

Date first listed: 21-Aug-2002

Statutory Address: Seething Wells Halls of Residence, Kingston University, Portsmouth Road, Surbiton, KT6 5PJ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Former Lambeth Waterworks uncovered coalstore including tower and attached tunnels
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031864 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 14:37:47.

Location

Statutory Address: Seething Wells Halls of Residence, Kingston University, Portsmouth Road, Surbiton, KT6 5PJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Kingston upon Thames (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 17266 67270

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/03/2018

59/0/10070

PORTSMOUTH ROAD Kingston University Seething Wells Halls of Residence Former Lambeth Waterworks uncovered coalstore including tower and attached tunnels, (Formerly listed as Lambeth uncovered coalstore including tower and attached tunnels, Seething Wells, PORTSMOUTH ROAD)

21-AUG-02

GV II Uncovered coal store with tower and attached underground tunnels. Built in 1851-2, designed by James Simpson for the Lambeth Waterworks in Romanesque style. Some minor C20 alterations.

This comprises a roughly rectangular unroofed enclosure with an hydraulic accumulator tower at the north west end and attached tunnels. Built of stock brick with walls about 12 feet high with stone coping. North west side centre has an ornamental square tower of two stages with crenellated parapet, blank panels to the upper stage similar panel containing imitation arrowslit windows and Romanesque style round-headed arches to the lower stage. To the left is a panel with two round-headed arches. To the right is a similar panel but replaced with a flat arch with double doors. The sides have three large panels with stepped cornice. To the rear are two inserted C20 flat arches with vertical shuttered doors.

HISTORY: This structure was capable of storing 1500 tons of coal. It has underground tunnels which connected with a track underneath the Portsmouth Road to a crane by a riverside wharf which brought the coal by river.

In 1995 the building became part of a hall of residence complex to Kingston University.



Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 489758

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing