Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of PENKHULL FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031865 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 10:14:44.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Stoke-on-Trent (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 86828 44788



SJ84SE GARDEN STREET 613-1/6/10044 PENKHULL 21-AUG-02 (South side) Penkhull Farmhouse


Farmhouse. Late C18, some mid C19 alteration and extension. Brick, cement rendered (lined out as ashlar block) to front and rear wing; gabled plain tile roofs, with rendered end stacks to front and brick stack at junction of rear wings. T-shaped plan with rear wing having lean-to to its E and mid C19 block extending at right angles to W. 2 storeys. 4-window S front with lintels over half-glazed mid C19 panelled door and horned glazing bar sashes (3/6 to first floor, 6/6 below); similar sashes to mid C19 canted bay window on right. Late C19 and C20 timber casements to rear, except E elevation which has 3/6-pane sash and, to gable end of rear cross wing, stepped lintel over small-paned timber casement. Interior: the interior has been little altered since the C19. Features include late C18 moulded cornicing and joinery, including panelled doors and shutters in moulded architraves with original fitments. Simple classical fireplaces with late C18 and mid C19 cast iron grates, that to parlour having mid C19 overmantle mirror. Panelled earth closet. Stairhall with elliptical arch on moulded brackets: fine staircase with stick balusters to open-string and wreathed handrail. History: the house probably dates from soon after 1780, when Josiah Spode II leased the farm. It changed ownership in 1830 with the sale of farm stock to John Smith, and was bought by John Pilkington in 1855.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].