This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WAR MEMORIAL AT BRADSHAW TENNIS CLUB

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WAR MEMORIAL AT BRADSHAW TENNIS CLUB

List entry Number: 1031868

Location

WAR MEMORIAL AT BRADSHAW TENNIS CLUB

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bolton

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Sep-2002

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 489762

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

797-1/0/10014

War Memorial at Bradshaw Tennis Club

10-SEP-02

II

War memorial. Dedicated in 1922. Ashlar Portland stone monument consisting of a wide rectangular slab with a moulded cap set above a cornice moulding. The slab is set upon a stepped plinth, and carries an inscription on its east face which reads 'GREAT WAR (1914- 1919 ) . TO COMMEMORATE THE GREAT SACRIFICE OF 23 MEMBERS OF THE BRADSHAW CRICKET CLUB WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR AND THIS CRICKET GROUND IS FOR-EVER DEDICATED TO THEIR HEROIC MEMORY. APRIL 29th 1922.' The names of the fallen are recorded on the west face, and the 2 end faces carry relief carvings, that to the south depicting a rifle and sword crossed above a helmet and below a laurel wreath, that to the north with crossed cricket bats above cricket stumps. HISTORY: The memorial was erected by Lt. Colonel H.M. Hardcastle who also gave the cricket field to the local community.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 January 2017.

Selected Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/81049
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/43703

National Grid Reference: SD 73362 12362

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031868 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 07:55:40.

End of official listing