This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

KINGTON LIBRARY, FORMERLY THE OLD RADNOR TRADING COMPANY HEADQUARTERS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KINGTON LIBRARY, FORMERLY THE OLD RADNOR TRADING COMPANY HEADQUARTERS

List entry Number: 1031885

Location

KINGTON LIBRARY, FORMERLY THE OLD RADNOR TRADING COMPANY HEADQUARTERS, BRIDGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County of Herefordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Kington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Sep-2002

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 489779

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGTON

643-1/0/10003 BRIDGE STREET 17-SEP-02 Kington (East side) Kington Library, formerly the Old Radn or Trading Company Headquarters

GV II



Offices and showroom. 1905, by C.S. Delfosse for the Old Radnor Lime, Roadstone and General Trading Company. Precast concrete; roof not visible. Clasical style. 2 storeys. Corner site, comprising 5 windows onto Duke Street and two onto Bridge Street. Plate-glass sashes. Balustraded parapet, with urns over panels to each bay division. Modillioned cornice. First floor has ashlar finish, and plate-glass sashes in moulded architraves. Moulded string with Greek key frieze over rusticated ground floor, the segmental arches over the windows having voussoirs and keyblocks with relief scrolls. Vermiculated quoins flank curved entrance bay to centre; double-leaf panelled doors set in Gibbs surround with vermiculated blocks and relief-moulded keyblock; blank parapet surmounted by pediment with date in tympanum. Ornamental air bricks. Interior: moulded cornicing and original joinery including panelled doors; walnut desk counter; etched glass with Greek key margins and central company logo. History: this building occupies a pivotal corner site in the centre of this town. The Old Radnor Lime, Roadstone and General Trading Company, set up in 1875, acquired a strong reputation for the quality of their precast concrete, being awarded the gold medal at the National Trades Industrial Exhibition in 1897. Decorative precast concrete had been used on a limited scale since the mid 19th century, this being a particularly ornate example made to resemble granite.



Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 29797 56672

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031885 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2018 at 04:20:23.

End of official listing