FARM OUTBUILDING, FORMERLY STABLES, AT FORMER BOLD HALL ESTATE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1031889

Date first listed: 02-Sep-2002

Statutory Address: FARM OUTBUILDING, FORMERLY STABLES, AT FORMER BOLD HALL ESTATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FARM OUTBUILDING, FORMERLY STABLES, AT FORMER BOLD HALL ESTATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031889 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 18:18:49.

Location

Statutory Address: FARM OUTBUILDING, FORMERLY STABLES, AT FORMER BOLD HALL ESTATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: St. Helens (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Bold

National Grid Reference: SJ5437391495

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOLD

1303/0/10006 Farm outbuilding, formerly stables, at 02-SEP-02 former Bold Hall Estate

GV II



Farm outbuilding, formerly stables to Bold Hall (now demolished). Disused at time of inspection (July 2002) Early-mid C18, with late C19 and C20 alterations. Attributed to Giacamo Leoni, architect, and built as part of the estate of Bold Hall, built for John Bold, the Member of Parliament for Wigan in 1730. Ashlar sandstone and red brick with ashlar detailing and dressings, coped gables and a slated roof. PLAN: Linear arrangement, and possibly formerly part of a larger complex, of which the associated Home Farmhouse (q.v.) was a planned component. EXTERIOR: Symmetrical single storey east elevation of 8 bays rising from an ashlar plinth. The elevation is faced in massive ashlar masonry with channelled rustication. Pedimented central entrance of 3 bays, with Doric pilasters flanking the entrance doorway and glazing bar sash windows either side. Flanking 3-bay ranges with tall windows below channelled heads, the openings now mainly blocked or infilled. Shallow ashlar parapet and the stub of a single ridge chimney, together with C20 ventilators. North and south ends in red brick with ashlar pedimented gables and quoins. Central window openings within quoined surrounds, that to the north gable blocked, that to the south adapted below channelled head to form wide double doorway with C20 girder as lintel. West elevation with brick facings and ashlar dressings. Off-centre right is a slightly advanced carriage entrance with quoined corners and shallow arched head. Either side of the entrance are 2 stable doorways with overlights and associated window openings, all with quoined surrounds and channelled lintels with integral keystones. To the extreme left is an inserted or altered opening, now with top-hung boarded doors. Above 3 of the doorheads are circular overloft or taking-in openings with ashlar surrounds.

INTERIOR: Adapted to form multi-purpose farm building, but with 3 former hearths and flagged and setted standings to the south end. The building is lofted throughout, the boarded floors carried on heavy timber cross beams. Common rafter roof with collars.

Forms a group with Home Farmhouse (q.v.)

HISTORY : Peter Bold, the Member of Parliament for Wigan, developed the Bold Hall Estate in the early C18. Bold commissioned the Venetian architect, Giacomo Leoni, who was working in Cheshire at Lyme Park in the late 1720's, to design a new mansion and supporting buildings. The mansion was a 9-bay, 3-storeyed, structure with an attached Corinthian portico and a stone-faced ground storey in channelled rusticated masonry. It was demolished c.1900. The east elevation of the stable range replicates in miniature form the architectural detail of the former hall's principal elevation. The park to the hall was the second largest in South Lancashire. The principal elevations of both the stables and the present Home Farmhouse face in the direction of the site of the former hall.

The former stable range to Bold Hall and the associated dwelling house, now the Home Farmhouse are the principal surviving elements of the Bold Hall Estate, developed in the early-mid C18 to serve Bold Hall, designed by the notable Venetian architect, Giacomo Leoni c.1730, and demolished c.1900.











Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 489783

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing