KITCHEN GARDEN OF SOMERLEYTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1031936

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: KITCHEN GARDEN OF SOMERLEYTON HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of KITCHEN GARDEN OF SOMERLEYTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031936 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 02:18:41.

Location

Statutory Address: KITCHEN GARDEN OF SOMERLEYTON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney (District Authority)

Parish: Somerleyton, Ashby and Herringfleet

National Grid Reference: TM 49239 97979

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOMERLEYTON SOMERLEYTON PARK TM 49 NE 4/64 Kitchen Garden of Somerleyton Hall GV II* Walled kitchen garden. Circa 1846 for Sir Morton Peto. The glass cases and ridge and furrow glasshouses are probably by Sir Joseph Paxton. A rectangle of red brick walls 90m x 60m and 3.5-4m high. The south wall has a fine central entrance portico in red brick with stone dressings: 4 pilasters support a cornice capped by 2 stone urns, each containing a bronze aloe plant. Entrance with wrought iron gates and a carved segmental panel above; to each side of the entrance is a niche containing an urn. Against the south side of the south wall are 2 fine identical ranges of glass cases, with entrances at each end set forward. The cases have cast iron frames with vertically-glazed wooden panels; cornice with cresting and cone finials. Against the south side of the north wall are 2 matching ranges of lean-to glasshouses with ridge and furrow roofs. The main frame of these is also of cast iron. Potting and store sheds behind. The only other similar glass cases in the country by Paxton are at Chatsworth. In the 1861 estate sale catalogue the cases were described as 'Glass Wall Houses or Promenade Houses'. Forms part of a garden included in the HBMC County Register of Gardens at Grade II*.

Listing NGR: TM4923997979

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 282415

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 39 Suffolk,

End of official listing