CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1031950
Date first listed:
27-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, ST OLAVES ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031950 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 00:18:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, ST OLAVES ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Somerleyton, Ashby and Herringfleet
National Grid Reference:
TM 47663 97814

Details

HERRINGFLEET ST. OLAVES ROAD TM 49 NE 1/21 Church of St. Margaret 27.11.54 I Parish church. Medieval with C19 restoration. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble, cement-rendered except for the tower; stone dressings. Thatched roofs to nave and porch, glazed black pantiles to chancel. Round tower, in 2 phases, neither later than C11. The lower part has coursed rubblework and later slit windows at 2 levels. Above a stone string course is the belfry stage: there are 4 openings, each with 2 triangular-headed lights separated by a circular shaft. 3 of the openings are set within semi-circular arched recesses, with colonnettes to the jambs and a billet frieze down the sides; the eastern opening is not treated in this way and the lights are larger. At the south west and north west are later lancets in red brick. Semi-circular tower arch with billet decoration to the west. Good C12 south nave doorway with 2 orders of colonnettes, abaci with saltire crosses and an arch with roll-moulding and chevron ornament. To the north the nave has an unmoulded doorway (blocked) and a lancet window, both of C13 date. The other nave windows (one to north, 2 to south) are late C15/early C16, each with 2 square-headed lights. One small C12 window to north chancel; 2 later windows to south, one of brick and square-headed. 3-light Perpendicular-style east window with a transom, inserted early C19. Interior. Both roofs are ceiled over. In the sanctuary a trefoil-arched piscina. Font installed c.1860. Substantially re-furnished by John Francis Leathes from 1824 onwards: poppyhead-type benches in nave and chancel, panelling against the walls. West gallery also of this date but altered 1982. The east window contains imported fragments of painted glass, mostly obtained from Cologne; they are said to date from the late C14 to early C18. The south east chancel window has 2 good stained glass figures. Several wall monuments to the Leathes family, notably John Leathes (1787) on south chancel wall. 3 hatchments to the same family at the west end of the nave.

Listing NGR: TM4766397814

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
282372
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Oct 2006
Reference: IOE01/15353/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Grint. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].