CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1031994
Date first listed:
01-Sep-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031994.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 15:16:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
St. Mary, South Elmham Otherwise Homersfield
National Grid Reference:
TM 28559 85398

Details

HOMERSFIELD CHURCH LANE TM 28 NE

1/12 Church of St. Mary

1.9.53

- II*

Parish church. C12, C14 and C15, extensively restored in 1866. Nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. In random flint, with traces of old render; freestone dressings, slate roofs. Stepped buttresses to nave and chancel. One Norman slit window with deep inner splay on south side of nave; the remainder 2- and 3-light, in various styles, one with flowing tracery, another with a flat Tudor hood-mould. All have been repaired, but not replaced, and are filled with diamond-leaded clear glass, some old. A 3-light C14 east window with panel tracery. South porch, basically C14, but heavily Victorianised. Small unbuttressed west tower in 3 stages, wit:h a string course between the 2nd and 3rd stages and a simple crenellated top. A Norman slit window on the west side of the 2nd stage and Y-tracery windows to each face of the top stage. Interior almost entirely of 1866: arch-braced roofs in traditional style, benches, pulpit and lectern, and all the chancel fittings, of that date. Square font in Norman style; double piscina in chancel in Early English style, perhaps a copy of what was there before. Plain pointed chancel arch and tower arch, rendered. A mid-C18 black ledger slab on the chancel floor.

Listing NGR: TM2855985398

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
282272
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/10546/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mike Withinshaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].