CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1032004
Date first listed:
01-Sep-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, HIGH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032004.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 15:15:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, HIGH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Shipmeadow
National Grid Reference:
TM 38202 89981

Details

SHIPMEADOW HIGH ROAD TM 38 NE 4/45 Church of St. Bartholomew 1-9-53 - II* Parish church, disused at the time of survey (May 1985). Medieval, with early C16 tower; restored 1851. Nave, chancel, west tower, north porch, south vestry. The nave and chancel are of flint rubble, plastered, with stone dressings. Flint and brick tower; rendered brick porch. Plaintiled roofs. Square tower, with 3-stage diagonal buttresses to the west face and angle buttresses against the north and south faces on the east side; flat parapet. Rectangular belfry openings without tracery. The fabric of the nave is largely C12: one original window remains on the north side; various later windows, mostly restored. Later C15 nave doorway. Early C14 chancel, the walls subsequently raised, probably in C19: various Y-traceried windows, one to the north with an enriched hood mould, one to the south blocked by the vestry but visible internally. 3-light east window with reticulated tracery, probably C19. Interior. C19 coupled rafter nave roof in 4 bays with scissor- bracing to the principal trusses. Chancel roof also C19. Blocked doorway in south chancel wall. On each side of the chancel at the entrance to the sanctuary is a pierced stone corbel, said to have been used for supporting the Lenten veil. C15 carved octagonal font. The rood screen has a C15 dado with traceried panels, some of the tracery renewed; the upper part of the screen is C19. The other furnishings are C19.

Listing NGR: TM3820289981

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
282196
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].