THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1032029

Date first listed: 01-Sep-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jun-1986

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032029 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 15:42:19.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney (District Authority)

Parish: Barsham

National Grid Reference: TM 39647 89638

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 38 NE 4/4 1-9-53

BARSHAM The Old Rectory (formerly listed as The Rectory)

GV II

House, formerly the rectory. Late C16/early C17 with late C17 crosswing and C18 range to right. Extended to rear mid C20. Oldest central part timber framed and plastered; projecting brick crosswing to left with shaped stuccoed gable; C18 range in red brick, partly plastered. Roofs plaintiled to front and pantiled to rear. 2 storeys and attic. The windows are mainly C20 3- light casements, a range of 6 in total; on the ground floor there is an early C19 3-light splayed bay with sash windows and a modillion cornice. Early C19 doorway in front gable end: entrance door with 2 raised and fielded lower panels, and 16 small panes above; open stuccoed porch on columns. 2 flat- roofed dormers. The crosswing has an external stack, the upper half rebuilt; gable stack to later range. One room in the centre range has 2 ovolo-moulded bridging beams and exposed plain joists. In the crosswing a similarly- moulded bridging beam with carved barred stop-chamfers is evidently re-used. At the rear of this wing a wide early C19 stair with partly missing stick balusters. In the C18 range one bedroom has some softwood panelling and a fireplace with eared surround. Birthplace of historian Laurence Echard (1671- 1730) and of CatherineSuckling mother of Lord Nelson, in 1725. Alfred Suckling the county historian was rector 1839-1856.

Listing NGR: TM3964789638

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 282155

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing