This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ABBEY FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ABBEY FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1032084

Location

ABBEY FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Rumburgh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Sep-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 282075

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 38 SW RUMBURGH GENERAL

1/1 Abbey Farmhouse

1-9-53

GV II

Moated farmhouse, on the site of the conventual buildings of the Benedictine Priory associated with the church, dissolved in 1528, of which no trace remains within the present house. Mid C16. Timber-framed and roughcast; plaintiled roof. The internal chimney-stack has a plain red brick shaft. Plain barge-boards to gables. Basic 3-cell internal chimney and cross-entry form, with a later lobby entrance; 6 bays. 2 storeys and attics 3 windows to the upper storey and 5 to the ground storey, all of cross form, some early C20 replacements. Mid C19 enclosed and gabled porch with double doors. Interior with good, plain timbering exposed. The rooms to each side of the stack have main beams with chamfer and ogee stops with bar and similar joists, set flat. On the rear wall of the room to the south of the stack, housings for a 5-light diamond-mullioned window replaced by a 3-light window with ovolo-moulded mullions and intermediate wooden bars. Both ground floor fireplaces have timber lintels. The service area is still divided into 2, with the floor on a higher level and a half-cellar below, apparently an original feature. Main posts with long arched braces removed. Side-purlin roof, much altered, which at one time had dormers. Various lean-to's and extensions at the rear, modernised.

Listing NGR: TM3478682011

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 34786 82011

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032084 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2018 at 03:10:53.

End of official listing