CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1032100
Date first listed:
01-Sep-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032100 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 12:44:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Brampton with Stoven
National Grid Reference:
TM 44792 81610

Details

STOVEN - TM 48 SW

3/53 Church of St Margaret

GV 1-9-53 II

shall be upgraded to Grade II* (star).

------------------------------------

STOVEN TM 48 SW 3/53 Church of St. Margaret 1.9.53

GV II

Parish church. C12 north and south doorways, the lower portion of the tower possibly medieval; remainder entirely rebuilt 1849-50 in neo-Norman style, with crude detailing. Nave and chancel, west tower. The tower is of flint rubble, the bell-chamber stage faced with knapped flint; the nave and chancel are plastered; stone dressings. Slated roofs with courses of fish-scale slates. Slender unbuttressed square tower with 2-light bell-chamber openings and pyramidal slated roof. 3 bays to both nave and chancel, with large semi- circular arched shafted windows. C12 south doorway to nave with one order of colonnettes with cushion capitals, 2 orders of chevron moulding to the arch and a billet hoodmould. The north doorway is also C12 but much restored: one order of colonettes with cushion capitals, a moulded arch and bobbin-type hoodmould. Interior Neo-Norman chancel arch. Mid C19 furnishings including the font.

Listing NGR: TM4479281610

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
282012
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/12810/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Norman H Sumter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].