CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1032142
Date first listed:
27-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, WANGFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032142.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:16:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, WANGFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Reydon
National Grid Reference:
TM 49094 78189

Details

TM 47 NE REYDON WANGFORD ROAD

4/33 Church of St. Margaret - 27/11/54 - II*

Parish church. Medieval, much restored 1876-88. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Random flint and stone rubble, stone dressings; slated roofs. C14 square tower with 3-stage diagonal buttresses to the west face and projecting stair turret to south; 2-light Perpendicular west window, 2-light bell chamber openings, the south one altered; crenellated parapet with flushwork panels. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, both of C15; square-headed and segmental-headed windows, mostly renewed C19. 3-light C19 east window in Perpendicular style. Interior Mid-late C19 scissor-braced rafter roofs to nave and chancel. Trefoil-headed piscina in south nave; ogee-arched piscina in south sanctuary. 5 of the 6 nave windows have statue niches in their east splays, the centre one on the north side with a cusped arch with traces of colour. The east splays of the chancel windows have more ornate niches, the south east window with 2 niches one above the other: the lower one has a cusped and crocketed arch with tracery in the spandrels, the upper one a shallow ogee arch and enriched with fleurons. Mid-late C19 furnishings. Arms of Anne (dated 1713) over south doorway.

Listing NGR: TM4909478189

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281898
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06684/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Angela Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].