CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1032210

Date first listed: 15-Nov-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032210 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 04:18:09.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Badwell Ash

National Grid Reference: TL 98960 68980

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 96 NE BADWELL ASH THE STREET (NORTH SIDE)

4/7 Church of St Mary 15/11/54

GV I

Parish church. C14 and C15. Mainly in random kidney flint with freestone dressings; slates to nave roof, old plaintiles to chancel. Nave, chancel with a vestry on its north side, south porch, short south aisle, west tower. The north side of nave has long stepped buttresses; doorway with continuous multiple moulding to pointed arch; hood-mould above; 3 tall 2-light Perpendicular windows with cuspings; rendered parapet with mouldings and gargoyles. South side of nave with 6 windows to clerestorey, 2-light with cusped heads and hoodmoulds; wall of black knapped flint with an admixture of small stone blocks and red brick. South aisle with one 3-light and one 2- light Perpendicular window; parapet with 2 gargoyles. C14 chancel: one window on north, 2 on south side, all of 2 lights with 4-petalled flower motifs to tracery; diagonal buttresses to east end; continuous plain arch to priest's door; 3-light east window with cusped quatrefoils in the tracery. Fine C15 south porch projecting from the west end of the aisle: sides faced in black knapped flint, front with long narrow trefoil-headed flushwork panels; flushwork panels to base and to diagonal buttresses, one with the emblems of the Passion. Spandrels of the doorway with St. George and the Dragon. Canopied niche above. Flushwork panels and the remains of crockets to the parapet. A stone bench down each side and an open timber roof with miniature arched-brace truss. continuous arch to south doorway. C15 tower in 4 stages, the lowest in black knapped flint with stone blocks, the remainder heavily repointed. Base of freestone blocks: the much-damaged flushwork panels have various emblems including the crowned MR. Flushwork panelling to battlemented parapet and an inscription to John Fincham and his wife. Stone string- courses. Diagonal buttresses also have flushwork panels. Continuous arch to west doorway. A 3-light window with cusped intersecting tracery to first stage, and a 2-light C19 restored window to each face of top stage. Inside, C14 arcade with octagonal piers between nave and aisle. Nave roof in 7 short bays with alternating hammerbeams and tie-beams, both resting on wall-posts with small figures. The hammerbeams have large recumbent angels. The tie- beam trusses have long arched braces to the collars with all soffits moulded. 2 rows of traingular-section moulded purlins; crenellated cornice. Later inserted tie-beams are dated 1703 with the churchwardens' names. C14 octagonal font: mutilated shields on the base, flamboyant ogee arches supported on heads to the bowl, crenellated top. South aisle with a single- pitch timber roof, arched braces to tie-beams, ties and trimmers moulded. Cusped angle piscina; simple Jacobean holy table; Jacobean chest. Benches and other fittings to nave and chancel date from the restoration of 1868. Chancel roof, in 4 bays, of alternating hammer-beam and arched-brace trusses, the space between the hammer-posts and rafters infilled with tracery. C14 piscina on south side, with space for sedilia beside it. The stained glass in the east window is of 1920.

Listing NGR: TL9896068980

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 281752

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing