This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1032267

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Braiseworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 281587

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRAISEWORTH TM 17 SW 1/2 Church of St Mary 29.7.55

-- II Former parish church, now redundant. 1857-8 by E.B. Lamb, incorporating C12 doorways from the old church (qv. Item 1/13). Nave, chancel, south porch, north vestry. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Plaintiled roof with ridge tiles. Neo-Norman style. Round-headed windows in groups of one, 2 and 3. Apse lit by 7 small windows. West end has a group of 3 lancet windows above which is an octfoil circular window, all within an arched recess. Gabled bell turret. Good re-used south nave doorway of C12, the arch slightly pointed: continuous inner order of zig-zag; one order of colonnettes with carved capitals, supporting a further order of carving to the arch; continuous outer band of carved motifs, gabled over the arch. Entrance arch of porch re-uses a simpler C12 doorway. 2 gabled dormers in north nave and south chancel are additions of early C20. Interior. Tiled window reveals with deep rere- arches. Early C17 pulpit.

Listing NGR: TM1335471778

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 13354 71778

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032267 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 05:02:25.

End of official listing