Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1032286

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jun-1988

Statutory Address: BLEAK HOUSE, 26, HIGH STREET


Ordnance survey map of BLEAK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032286 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 20:24:33.


Statutory Address: BLEAK HOUSE, 26, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Debenham

National Grid Reference: TM 17379 63241


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


DEBENHAM HIGH STREET (west side) TM 16 SE 6/100 No.26 (Bleak House) (formerly listed as 9.12.55 Bleak House)


Originally part of former inn, now a house. Circa 1540. Timber framed, exposed studding with herringbone brick nogging, much of the nogging to High Street frontage renewed. Plastered at rear. Plaintiled roof. 2 storeys and attic. Continuous jetty on original brackets; only the caps of the buttress- shafts remain. Corner post has carving to cap, spandrels and base, the latter much weathered. The mid rail immediately below the jetty is moulded. Various casement windows, mostly old. 6-panel door (upper 2 panels glazed), reached by a short flight of steps. Gable end to Gracechurch Street has original cellar entrance with wide timber arch; adjacent is a smaller brick arch. Above there is evidence for oriel windows on both floors. Internal stack towards south end of range, at junction with adjacent dwelling (qv. Item 6/101). Interior. Corner room has moulded floorbeams, the joists concealed; this was probably a parlour. Chamber above has blocked fireplace with original lintol; the opening was exceptionally wide for an upper room. There was a continuous gallery at the rear. Queen-post roof, much of the bracing removed and many rafters in front slope renewed mid C20. One tie beam appears to be a later replacement in softwood, with solid braces bolted to the wallposts. For remainder of the former inn, see No.28 High Street (qv. Item 6/101) and Nos. 1-3 Gracechurch Street (Item 6/71). For drawings of the complete frame, see Mr T. Easton, Bedfield Hall.

Listing NGR: TM1737963241


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 281524

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing