CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1032386
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032386.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:04:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Tannington
National Grid Reference:
TM 24239 67492

Details

TANNINGTON TM 26 NW 5/63 Church of St Ethelbert 29.7.55 - I Parish church. Medieval, the chancel restored 1879. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north vestry. Flint rubble with stone dressings; the nave and side walls of the porch are plastered. Continuous plaintiled roof. Square turret to south. The plinth of the tower has a chequer pattern in flushwork. Moulded west doorway, considerably renewed; original hoodmould with much-weathered carved spandrels. The west window has plain C19 or C20 infilling although the original opening is intact. 2-light belfry openings. Core of nave probably late C12. The north doorway is of this date: one order of colonnettes with crocket capitals and semi-circular arch with hollow and keel moulding. Various C14 and C15 windows. 2 of the C14 windows are largely original; internally one has shafting and a hoodmould with mutilated stops, the other has a moulded surround. C15 moulded south nave doorway. C15 porch with flushwork panelling to the facade and an embattled parapet. Moulded entrance arch with rose-carved spandrels. Over the entrance is an empty trefoil-headed ogee niche flanked by demi buttress-shafts. Original roof (restored). Early C14 chancel: a good 5-light east window with intersecting tracery. Side windows and Priest's doorway in Perpendicular style, all much renewed Interior. No chancel arch. Coupled rafter nave roof of medieval date, with a pair of straight braces to each collar and ashlar pieces. At the east end a section of the roof is panelled as a canopy of honour, with moulded ribs and fleuron bosses. The panels contain traces of 'IHS' and rose motifs, some overpainted in a restoration of 1967. 4-bay chancel roof: C15 trusses with long arched braces to the collars; rafters renewed 1879. Altered C14 angle piscina with drop-sill sedilia adjacent. Font has C13 bowl of Purbeck marble. Nave has 11 poppyhead bench-ends of C15 date with buttresses terminating in mutilated figures; some of the seats are original and one has a good C15 traceried back. The remainder of the furnishings are largely of later C19. In the sanctuary is an effigy brass to Ann Dade (1612). 2 early C17 brass inscriptions and several late C17 and C18 ledger slabs, all to members of the Dade family. On north wall of sanctuary, an early C17 alabaster wall monument, also to the Dade family. In south east nave, an early C19 white marble wall monument to members of the Barker family, over which is a single hatchment.

Listing NGR: TM2423967492

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281344
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07728/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Atkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].